Requirements to teach English in different schools
Various types of English schools
There are various types of English teaching jobs (TEFL / TESOL) which one may apply for. Each type of TEFL / TESOL job has its own general requirements.
- should be a native English speaker (although schools are increasingly accepting non-native English speakers)
- a valid passport with at least one to two years validity
- increasingly, a university degree is required although there may be exceptions
- a TEFL / TESOL qualification is required – usually a minimum of 120 hours
- all the above mentioned conditions
- OR you must have a teaching certificate (e.g. PGCE, BEd…)
- There may be other requirements depending on the work permit/visa requirements of the particular country or the Public school itself.
- all conditions to Teach English Overseas must be met.
- you must have teacher certification in the area of the posting (e.g. PGCE, BEd…)
- many international schools require some/extensive experience
- Usually extensive experience
- More than often, you should be available for a face-to-face interview
- Typically, you will be required to be in possession of a Master’s degree – although not always the case.