Requirements to teach English in different schools

Various types of English schools

There are various types of English teaching jobs (TEFL / TESOL) which one may apply for. Each type of TEFL / TESOL job has its own general requirements.

  • should be a native English speaker (although schools are increasingly accepting non-native English speakers)
  • a valid passport with at least one to two years validity
  • increasingly, a university degree is required although there may be exceptions
  • a TEFL / TESOL qualification is required – usually a minimum of 120 hours
  • all the above mentioned conditions
  • OR you must have a teaching certificate  (e.g. PGCE, BEd…)
  • There may be other requirements depending on the work permit/visa requirements of the particular country or the Public school itself.
  • all conditions to Teach English Overseas must be met.
  • you must have teacher certification in the area of the posting (e.g. PGCE, BEd…)
  • many international schools require some/extensive experience
  • Usually extensive experience
  • More than often, you should be available for a face-to-face interview
  • Typically, you will be required to be in possession of a Master’s degree – although not always the case.